Serving Santa Clara County

Please contact us to schedule a consultation. We offer appointments via phone, video, or in person.

How marriage can affect your taxes

A recent marriage or divorce can affect the process of filing taxes. Remember the following tips when filing your taxes this season.

To determine whether you should indicate “single” or “married” when recording your status in your tax return, determine what your civil status was on December 31, the last day of the tax year. If you are currently undergoing divorce proceedings, your status is still considered married.

Couples who choose to file tax returns jointly combine both incomes and deductions in one return, meaning both of you could be held liable, even if only one person was earning income. Unmarried people usually file under the single status, although those who have a dependent person living with them can opt to file as the head of a household.

To learn more about your legal rights, what can be done to protect your interests, and how a family attorney could be helpful to you in San Jose, contact the attorneys at the [firm-name], today. Call us today at [phone-number].


Contact us
for Consultation

Please contact us to schedule a consultation. All appointments are offered via phone.

Related posts